We can feel it in the air! Life is getting crazier and time going faster at this time of the year. It is during these times we can find it harder to find time for eating right, particularly at breakfast time! So we have been thinking of ways we can make sure we all look after ourselves and have a healthy breakfast ready to grab and go for those busy days when we are on the run bright and early. We love these bacon and egg cupcakes from I Quit Sugar. You can make a big batch ahead of time and grab one on your way out the door. What’s more, they are just as yummy in a lunch box or any time of day! They are a big hit in our house and super easy to whip up.
Bacon & Egg Cupcakes
Coconut oil, butter or ghee, for greasing.
2 rashers bacon.
Crumbled feta, optional.
Chopped chives or other herbs, optional.
2 cups greens, finely sliced (you can use kale, spinach or any other leafy green).
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC / 400°F / Gas Mark 6 and lightly grease two cups of a 6-cup muffin tray.
2. Use bacon rasher to line greased cups, looping or pressing the bacon around the sides and using any small broken bits to line the bottom. It needn’t be a perfect job – feel free to use extra bits to fill in the gaps.
3. If you like your bacon crispy, place the tray in the oven for 5 minutes before continuing.
4. Gently crack 1 egg into each bacon cup, then sprinkle with cheese and herbs if desired.
5. Bake for 15 minutes until the egg whites are set. Let sit for a minute and then, using a knife or spoon, gently remove the cupcakes from the tray.
6. Meanwhile, wilt silverbeet for 1-2 minutes in a hot pan with a teaspoon of water.
7. Place the 2 cupcakes (serve hot or warm) on a plate and serve with silverbeet.
These make a great high-protein snack and will last up to three days in an airtight container in the fridge.
For a ‘greener’ option, place a small par-cooked-and-frozen broccoli floret into each cup. Use only 3 eggs and beat them lightly with a fork before dividing among the 4 cups.
Do you have an easy, quick recipe for brekky on the go? We would love to hear about it. Share your comments below!